Monday, November 9, 2009

A Glimpse Of The Old Jordan

This past weekend, we were able to enjoy Jordan the most we have in a long time. The four of us were able to get away and stay at a campground with two other families in Temecula for Tristen's baseball tournament and yes...he was the bat boy. If it puts him on a baseball field, he'll do it. Jordan is as eager as ever to be playing ball again and being the bat boy just draws him closer to the field.

The break that Jordan has had from chemo has done wonders for him! His hair is growing back, his voice is coming back, his strength is coming back, his personality is coming back, and he's eating more than ever! For the first time, I'm finally seeing it...a glimpse of the old Jordan! I've been eagerly waiting for it and it brings so much relief to see that it can and will happen...I can't wait until he's back, fully restored and even better than ever!

We do however, start up an intensive phase this Wednesday for 62 days. It, like always, begins with being admitted to the hospital for a spinal tap along with other chemos. The doctors feel this phase (hopefully) can be done without any hospital stays overnight. This is a big deal to Jordan and us, considering we've had our fair share of staying in the hospital...we strongly hope those days are behind us.

Jordan has loved this time off as he has been able to be somewhat of a normal kid again. He was able to ride his scooter and actually play ball this weekend with his brother and buddies he camped out with. His Grandpa Henry and Grandma Tina were even able to come and stay one night with us.

On Sunday night we picked up the bike he won from his school, thanks to Mrs. Matlock, and on Monday he was getting back into his old groove of riding and jumping his ramps (taking it cautiously of course). He loves his new bike and it will be great for strengthening his leg muscles.

Jordan currently weighs 60lbs! This is the most since he left the hospital after his initial stay in July. We hope and pray this next phase will not set him back much. He is very much aware of the upcoming chemo and just goes along with it. I've got to hand it to him, he's a trooper all right. Whenever people ask him, "How are you doing?" he always responds with "Good" or he gives a "thumbs up". He never really lets on that this is hard for him. When he does have his bad days, we just reassure him this will all be over soon and life will get back to normal. He feels like sometimes it won't, because in his mind three years of maintenance therapy seems forever. We just keep comforting and reassuring him.

Jordan would like to say, "Thanks to all who keep reading his blog and thank you for everything that you've done for me."

In closing, please remember us in your prayers, as we really don't know what the next couple of months will bring. We've just got to get Jordan through these last stages of the heavy chemo.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jordy!
    I have a picture of you and your mom and and Tristen that shows up on my computer screen. I deliberately put it there so I will always have you and my family on my heart and mind. Life keeps me so busy and I ask God to forever keep Him at the heart of anything I put my hand to. I know you are going through such a trial in your young life...but like anything...as believers in Christ Jesus...we are NEVER alone.
    My academic advisor, Judy, thinks I am needing to go on to graduate school and get my Masters Degree. I will graduate in June with my Bachelors Degree in Nursing. For over 20 years, my heart has been with children. I am not sure what I will do after I graduate in June but I am feeling fairly confident that I am to move on...because children are our future and they deserve the very best. And you deserve the very best and I know that God will be there for you every step of the way until your total healing is manifested.
    I love you,
    Cousin Lisa (Jeremiah 29:11)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jordan,
    We are praying for you! Sierra says to say hi!
    Leah & Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well hi Jordan! My name is Holly and I just want to say I think your amazing! My son Austin met you and your bro at church this summer and you guys really touched our hearts. Stay strong friend :) We are praying for you all everyday!

    ReplyDelete